Halloween Safety Tips

The National Retail Federation reports Halloween to be almost as popular as Christmas for consumers who display indoor and outdoor decorations.
As you and your family prepare to celebrate Halloween with elaborate decorations, fun costumes, and candle lit displays, follow these electrical safety tips to help you and all your little trick-or-treaters remain safe.

  • Always select costumes, decorations, and accessories which are made from flame-resistant, flame-retardant, or non-combustible materials.
  • Instead of flame candles, use flashlights or battery-operated candles when decorating your home, including the lighting you use to light your walk paths, jack-o-lanterns, and other outdoor displays.
  • Be sure to carefully inspect each decoration before using it. Any cracked, frayed, or bare wires may cause a serious electric shock or start a fire, so be careful not to use damaged electrical decorations.
  • Make certain the electrical decorations you plan to use outdoors are actually marked “for outdoor use.”
  • Electrical cords can be a tripping hazard. Keep them out of high-traffic areas, including doorways and walkways.
  • Be sure to plug your outdoor decorations into circuits protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) to prevent electric shock.
  • Do not nail or staple light strings or extension cords. Nails and staples damage an electrical cord’s insulation, which can create serious fire and shock hazards.
  • Always use safety approved electrical lights and decorations. Check for approval by independent testing laboratories such as UL, ETL-SEMKO, or CSA.
  • Remember to always turn off your electrical decorations and put out any open flames before leaving your home or going to bed.
Scroll to Top