Unfortunately, crime and violence are still too common of events in our society. If you pay any attention to the news or statistics on crime, you might have an ok idea of the very real danger which we sometimes face. While violent crime is by no means common, people are victims every single day. These people, just like you, likely had no idea that there were criminals who would soon be assaulting them.
Thankfully, there are also more tools than ever that you can use to protect yourself from criminals or unwanted incursions. The proliferation of computers and electronic technology has lead to an increase in the number of products available for home defense. Here are a few ideas for basic home security improvements your trusted electrician might be able to help with.
- Installation of security lighting. Exterior lighting is an effective tool for deterring crime. Criminals understand that if they are seen, their chances of escape or success go way down. If someone is thinking about creeping around your windows at night looking for a way in or anything valuable, they will likely be deterred by an automatic light turning on and illuminating them. Instead of darkness, anyone looking out a window or down the street might see them and call the police. Additionally, an alert homeowner could respond with a call to the police or even deadly force if necessary. Exterior lighting can serve an aesthetic purpose as well, illuminating landscaping and increasing the value of your property.
- Security Cameras. Another common fear of criminals is the use of security cameras by prepared homeowners. If there is a camera, intruders will likely think twice before entering a property. Even truly desperate criminals will think twice about committing violence if they know that they might be on tape. Having visible functional security cameras will serve as a useful deterrent, and can help you feel safe. Many times, criminals will scope out a target before committing a crime. If you have cameras, they will be much less willing to investigate your property. Additionally, you can install tools to view the feeds from your cameras in real time. This can give you peace of mind that your home is safe, even if you happen to be away from it.
- Alarm Systems. There are a variety of different alarm systems which can be installed, but you can often save money if you have an electrician perform much of the work. Talk to your electrician to see what they recommend when it comes to installing an effective alarm. Additionally, if an alarm is being installed, you might be able to use the work being done as an opportunity to make your home safer from electrical issues as well. Another great tool which functions similarly to an alarm is a sensor which can detect when doors are opened or closed. If a door opens when it should not, you will know that something has gone wrong.
- Smart Home Improvements. Installing technology which can help you see data and activity around your home in real time is one of the best ways to protect yourself from crime. If you are away on vacation, you could get an alert that doors have opened, or lights have been turned on. A quick call to the police could save your property from being stripped bare. Additionally, you could set up alerts to help you make sure that your home is secure at night. Being able to see easily that all of your doors and windows are securely locked from the comfort of your bed is a great way to be sure that a small mistake will not cost you dearly. Additionally, you might even be able to lock them remotely, depending on your system.
- Use Trusted Contractors. While this is tangential to electrical work, using trusted contractors for all home improvements and work is very important if you want to keep your home safe. Sometimes, criminals will pretend that they are some type of independent contractor in order to ask you questions about your schedule and personal life, or to even gain access to your home. Using a trusted and established professional service will help you to feel at ease with your workers. Well paid professionals who have their reputations on the line will work with you to help make your home secure, and value your privacy and property.
So if there is a crime spree in your area or you simply want to do everything you can to protect your family, talk with an experienced and established electrical contractor to figure out what work can be done to truly make your home a safe place to live. Ideally, you shouldn’t have to think about it, but all criminals will see the signs that this place deserves a wide berth.